Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Humble Pie: A week of cooking fails


Last week was a total fail in the cooking department. It was, as my college roommates and I liked to say, a big fat piece of humble pie. Just when you think you're getting this whole homemaking thing down... No you're not.  Get out a fork, here's a nice big slice of humble pie. 

Fall is my favorite favorite favorite time of year. Cooler weather, sweaters, boots, and perhaps most importantly... PUMPKIN flavored things! So when I had the bright idea to swap out the banana for pumpkin in my favorite Banana Muffins (from my Food for Thought  post), I was pretty excited. I made the same exact muffins, but substituted canned pumpkin for the bananas and used pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon. I even thought to myself, this is my OWN recipe! How exciting! I'll photograph it and put it on my blog! But when the muffins came out of the oven, this is what I got:





Looks harmless right? Wrong. I have never in my life tasted a worse muffin. Not only did these muffins have a strange unidentifiable taste and companion nasty aftertaste, every few chews there was a distinct gritty texture. Gritty like, is there sand in this muffin? Did I drop this muffin on the beach? Bad. And the worst part... I still powered through and ate one of these muffins (or as much of it as I could choke down) every morning all week. Bleh.


On to fail number two. As if the taste buds hadn't suffered enough, I attempted on Tuesday to make a clean eating chicken and dumplings in the crock pot.  This is how it turned out:





The best part was, I made this for Jonnie to eat for dinner since I had D group that night and would be eating with the girls. Poor guy.  When I got home, I asked him how it was, and he said, "I have no idea what I just ate." That was supposed to be our dinner the following night as well, and needless to say we ate out instead. 

Nothing like some big time flops to keep a girl grounded. Looks like I'm still a domestic diva in training, and that's alright with me. In the meantime, there's always Chick-Fil-A. Who's up for a nice slice of humble pie?


No comments:

Post a Comment